Friday, May 11, 2012

Random Friday

      This post was written earlier this week because it was our last day in the hotel and I knew that we wouldn't have the Internet for a while. But I wanted to let everyone know what we're up to. We closed on the house on Monday and moved in on Tuesday. So here's some stuff that is going on in our lives. 


1. House projects. Tim and I sat down earlier this week and made a list of all the projects that we want to do around the house to fix things up, make things prettier, or add something to the house. The first project that we're going to tackle is painting our kitchen cabinets and adding new hardware. The current cabinets are oak and have gold brassy cabinets pulls. UGLY. So we decided to paint them white (to match the wainscoting in the eat-in kitchen part) and add brushed nickels pulls. I looked online and found a tutorial for how to paint your own cabinets. It will be a lot of work, but doing it ourselves will save us a lot of money. Plus, the couple who did it online have a baby too, so their how-to includes things like, "On Day 3 we primed the fronts of the cabinets while Clara was napping." So if they can do it, then we can do it! And then hopefully we will have have an awesome "before and after" picture like the one below. Some future projects we want to do in the kitchen are to add a new sink and faucet in the kitchen, put in a garbage disposal, and paint the kitchen. 
2. Mother's Day gifts. Because our mothers have both received their gifts, I thought I would let you in on the things that I got for them in case anyone needs any last-minute ideas. For my mother-in-law I found an idea on Pinterest. She and my father-in-law just built a house in the mountains and I figured they could use a wreath for the front door. It wasn't really hard to make, but the materials could be really expensive if you don't find the fake tulips while they're on sale. I was lucky because Michael's had a 60 percent off sale on their fake flowers the week I made it. My mother-in-law really liked it, I think, and I was tempted to keep it for our front door. Haha! For my mom, I found a special three month Mother's Day edition of a subscription box called Umba Box. It was a little pricey, so her subscription is counting for both her Mother's Day and her birthday gift. She will get one in May, one in June, and one in July. The boxes include handmade items hand-picked from Etsy (one of my favorite places to buy gifts online), like stationary, jewelry, accessories, and more. I can't wait to see what she gets!


3. Music of our lives.  Have you ever watched a movie and found yourself wishing that your life came with a soundtrack? I definitely have. And when I was cleaning out my bedroom at my parents' house last week, (Sorry it took almost three years mom!) I found a drawer full of mixed CDs with labels like, "Tim's 21st birthday CD," "Valentine's Day 2005" and "2007 Spring Break." So during my 7-8 hour drive back to Kentucky on Sunday, I listened to those CDs the entire way. And it was funny because just listening to those songs took me` back to those times. Listening to Dashboard Confessional's "Vindicated" brought me back to my spring break trip to Orlando in 2004 my freshman year of college with my friend Katie and our roommate Hannah and her friend Jason. Listening to Sister Hazel reminded me of the two concerts that Tim and I went to for Valentine's Day during our early dating years. It was just so much fun. 


4. Moving announcements. I was so excited about closing on the house Monday that I ordered moving announcements right away. They are really cute and I can't wait to send them out to our family and friends. I'm not going to post a picture of them here right now because I don't want to ruin the surprise. I am also considering buying a return address stamp. I've found a couple that I like on Etsy, but I haven't decided on one. What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment