Healthy Surprise is probably the best subscription box for food that I've ever received. It comes packed with snacks and has such a large variety. Tim, Owen and I have been snacking on our box for almost a week now and we still haven't eaten it all. Usually any food box that I've tried lasts about a day and then I'm hungry for an entire month waiting for the next one. And this is the smallest box that Healthy Surprise offers! I can't imagine how long the larger box would last us! How awesome is that?!
Once you sign up, Healthy Surprise will send you a monthly specially curated box of snacks that are certified natural, vegan, gluten-free, corn free and soy free. The company also avoids snacks with artificial sweeteners, flavors, and colors, along with those that contain meat, dairy, shellfish, honey, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, and other MSG. All snacks are made in America.
Types of snacks include fruits, nuts, trail mixes, bars, crackers, chocolates, kale and veggie chips, drink products, sweets, and other healthy treats. The variety is incredible!
Healthy Surprise offers three different sized boxes:
- Starter Box ($33 a month): Provides 1-2 people with at least 11 full size products that make up between 16-20 servings.
- Healthy Box ($66 a month): Provides 1-4 people with at least 16 full size snack products that make up between 32 and 40 servings.
- Large Box ($99 a month): You will receive both the Starter Box and the Healthy Box which will provide 2-6 people with at least 27 full size products that make up 48 to 60 servings.
When you sign up on a business day before 2 p.m. EST, your box will ship that same day. My shipping was super fast and I received my box in just a few days all the way from California (Delivery typically takes 1-3 business days). For all the months following, you will be charged on the 7th of the month and your box will ship within three days.
I was recently lucky enough to have Healthy Surprise agree to send me a free box to review as well as allow me to host a giveaway on my blog. My box arrived super quick and I was really happy with it. It's a good-sized box and it comes packed to the brim with a variety of snacks. I also liked that they utilized all of the box surfaces to provide information and included an insert! I love box inserts!
The box packaging is very attractive. I like their theme of the green and yellow because it looks fresh and clean and reminds me of ripe vegetables like spinach and corn. The packaging is very attractive and is one of the reasons why Healthy Surprise would make a great gift as well.
The insert didn't list the products included in the box, but it did have an informative article about different types of essential nutrients, a recipe for a smoothie, and a write up about one of the companies featured in the box this month.
After peeling back the bright yellow and green tissue paper, I finally got a look at all the snacks inside. I received a really great variety of fruits, veggies, nuts, bars, sweets, and more. In total there were 11 different products in the box. And only one of the products was one that I have seen in my local grocery store. These are mostly unusual and unique brands and definitely a great way to learn about new snacks and companies.
Here's what came inside my box:
- Plum Kids Organic Mash-ups in Berry flavor ($1.00): With a two-year-old, we are no strangers to the Plum Organics brand. And to tell you the truth, even after getting this one in my box, I still have never tasted one myself. Owen saw the top of this peeking out of the box while eating lunch one day and immediately started asking for the "Squeeze-y squeeze." It lasted all of 2.5 seconds. But don't worry, with ten other snacks in my box, I didn't feel deprived by having to share.
- Gopal's Health Foods Brownie ($2.69): If you are expecting this to taste just like a regular brownie, then you are going to be disappointed. But in and of itself it is a pretty yummy snack bar made primarily of walnuts and dates. Though I'm not sure it's worth the 260 calorie splurge if you are truly trying to eat healthy. But since it's made of all healthy ingredients, I suppose you can justify it that way. I did. :)
- Gorge Delights Just Fruit Bar in Pear Strawberry flavor ($1.50): I really liked this bar. It was an interesting texture, but it was definitely great to eat a bar that was made solely of fruit with no added ingredients. Very yummy.
- Betty Lou's Just Great Stuff 10 Bar in Cacao Acai flavor ($1.97): I have had a different flavor of this type of bar before that I liked, but I was not a big fan of this particular flavor. The texture kind of bothered me because it felt like there were coffee grounds mixed into it (I think that was a combination of the cacao nibs and the chopped cashews).
- Hail Merry Macaroons in Strawberry flavor ($5.00): These were really yummy. I really want to try some of their other flavors like caramel sea salt and chocolate. They were a tasty snack for someone who loves coconut. And because they are made with extra virgin coconut oil, they practically melt in your mouth when you eat them.
- Nibnaks in Crancherrytart flavor ($2.00): I loved the simplicity of this snack. It was just almonds, dried cherries, and dried cranberries. And all the other flavors sold by this company sound just as delicious. These are definitely a snack that I would purchase again after discovering them in this box.
- Just Tomatoes Etc! Dried Tomatoes ($2.35): Tim and I don't really like the flavor of tomatoes (too fruity), but we were both game to try these. We didn't really like them, but my mom happily took them home with her after her visit this past weekend.
- Lydia's Organics Rawkin' Spicy Beet Chips ($5.99): These organic beet chips were surprisingly spicier than I expected and kind-of addicting in a weird way. They weren't my favorite item in the box, but they aren't bad at all if you don't mind some heat. And they are definitely a unique item that I would have never heard of otherwise.
- Beanitos White Bean and Sea Salt Restaurant Style Chips ($2.66): This was one of my favorite items in the box. They were really tasty and I would love to try their other flavors as well. I didn't even get to try them with salsa because my mom and I ate them up so quickly. She was happy to be visiting while I was trying everything in the box and enjoyed these as well. Both of us would pick these up at the grocery store if we saw them.
- Caveman Foods Caveman Nuts ($2.29): My husband was probably the most interested in this snack because he's on a super health kick lately and has been researching all these diet plans and stuff like that. I was really pleased with this product. There are no extra flavorings or anything, just a plain and simple variety of nuts. And they're delicious! You know when you eat something without any added anything and you realize that the flavor of the food is so much better when it's not messed with? That's what this was like. And I feel like I need to go climb a mountain or do something really active now.
- The Daily Crave Veggie Chips ($1.32): I have never eaten veggie chips before and wasn't sure what to expect. These tasted just like regular chips only less salty and greasy. I was definitely impressed. Owen and Tim also enjoyed them. And for what it's worth, the packaging is really cute too.
Interested in trying Healthy Surprise for yourself? Use the code HEALTHY10 for $10 off your first box. And if you're feeling lucky, enter my giveaway to win a free starter box of your own to try! I will be checking to make sure you have followed or commented if you check those entry options. If you haven't, I will have to choose a different winner.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: This box was received for review purposes. All opinions are my own and no compensation was received.