Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Our little blessing at 29 weeks

     The pregnancy is progressing as it should according to my doctor's appointment last Wednesday. They weighed and measured me and listened to the baby's heartbeat. It was a strong 148 beats per minute. I met another doctor from the practice and we bonded over our southern roots and our craving for Chick-Fil-A. I also was tested for gestational diabetes. The doctor mailed the results to me and I found out today that I tested within the normal range. So yay, no gestational diabetes for me! Anyway, my next appointment is in mid-February, so I'll have another update then. 

How far along? 29 weeks, 3 days

Baby’s size? The baby is the size of a butternut squash (about 2.5 pounds and 15 inches long). His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. To meet his increasing nutritional demands, I'll need plenty of protein, vitamin C, folic acid, and iron. And because his bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day. No problem. I have had about a gallon and a half of milk this week, not to mention some yogurt.
Sleep? Sleep is good.

Food cravings? Milk. (We’ve gone through more than two gallons in the week and a few days we’ve been in the new house). Fruit, especially citrus and apples. And perhaps a chili dog from Sonic. Guess which ones are probably what the baby wants and which one is me…

Food aversions? Nothing really.

Symptoms: Mainly just some back pain in the evenings. And I’m starting to get the first trimester fatigue feeling back.

Best moment this week? This was just a funny moment that happened this week. Tim and I had finished eating dinner and were watching TV in the living room. He had his hand resting on my belly in case the baby moved and I was hinting for the tenth time how much I was wanting some ice cream. So I look down at my stomach and ask, “Do you want Daddy to get us some ice cream?” And right after I asked, the baby kicked really hard right under Tim’s hand. Needless to say, somebody made a late night trip to the grocery store. 

Movement?  Lots of movement. Generally in the early morning and late evening. And after I’ve eaten.

What I miss about not being pregnant? Nothing.

What I’m looking forward to? Picking out decorations to complete the baby’s room. We painted the nursery this weekend. It turned out so cute. I peek in there several times a day. We painted the room using Olympic zero-VOC, low-odor paint. The color is called Quaking Grass and matches really well with our Pottery Barn Kids Eli Elephant bedding. 

     We spent last week taping off the doors, window, ceiling, and floorboards and painted the room on Saturday. Tim did a few touch-ups on Sunday and now the room is completely painted and ready for furniture, wall decor, curtains, etc. The furniture is still going to take at least another month to come in (boo!), but once it does come in, we can move it in right away and hopefully get the nursery all set before little mister comes. 
Here are our painting supplies that we picked up from Lowe's the night before. 
My master painter at work. Tim was really gung-ho about painting the nursery. It's really sweet to see him excited about preparing a place for the baby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment