Monday, February 25, 2013

Bump update: 13 Weeks

  
      Yes, you read the heading correctly. 13 Weeks. After our ultrasound on Friday, the ultrasound tech measured the baby and moved our due date up a week. The baby measured approximately 2.5 inches long from head to rump. So we're now due on August 31. 
     According to our pregnancy app, the baby is similar in length to a kiwi and is busy moving around inside my uterus. The baby is estimated to be 2.5 inches long from crown to rump and weighs approximately half an ounce. The baby's digestive system is beginning to flex and contract to practice pushing food down through the digestive tract after birth. Its pituitary gland has started producing hormones. And the baby's bone marrow is making white blood cells, which will one day help the baby fight infections. 

         For the most part, I'm feeling good. I have been able to exercise some and have a bit more energy and I'm able to eat most anything I want. I haven't gained any weight yet and am still able to fit into my regular jeans. I have had a cold this past week and have been really congested so that's not been much fun. 
        Our ultrasound on Friday was really special. In just the four weeks since our last one, the baby looks so much more like a baby. You can see his or her little fingers and its legs were kicking. It's amazing how quickly the baby has changed in just a few weeks. After seeing the ultrasound, I got the distinct feeling that I was looking at a baby girl, but we won't know for sure for at least another month. Our anatomy scan is scheduled for eight weeks from now, at which point I will be 21 weeks pregnant. We found out Owen was a boy at about 18 weeks, so I don't think I'm going to be able to wait that long. We are going to start looking for a boutique ultrasound place so that we can find out whether the baby is a boy or girl earlier. In the meantime, we've been checking out some old wives tales to predict the baby's gender and I will be posting those soon for fun. We will also add a poll on the blog so everyone can begin making predictions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment