Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bump update: 30 Weeks


        According to my pregnancy app, the baby is about the size of a large cabbage at approximately 15.7 inches long and almost three pounds. But with my track record, this baby could easily be more than three pounds. If this baby is exactly like Owen, I would only have eight weeks left and the baby would gain almost six pounds in that time. Yikes! 
         A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds him, but that volume will shrink as he gets bigger and takes up more room in my uterus. His eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after he's born, he'll keep his eyes closed for a good part of the day. When he does open them, he'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means he can only make out objects a few inches from his face.
         The biggest news I have since I last posted a pregnancy update is that I passed my glucose screening to check for gestational diabetes. I wasn't super nervous about it because I didn't have it with Owen, but since my mom had it with me, it's always a possibility. I was actually a little disappointed because I didn't get to try a new flavor this time. (Orange again). The glucose drink didn't make me feel as jittery as it did when I took the test with Owen (maybe because I was more nervous the first time?) and the lady who drew my blood did a great job too. She was really pleased when I complimented her on it and said that it's rare for her to get compliments in her job. My doctor said she would call if there was a problem with my results, but since she didn't, I'm assuming everything went fine. 
         I am in my third trimester now and I am finding that the pregnancy symptoms that I felt closer to the end of my pregnancy with Owen are showing up earlier this time around. I have been really surprised at how sore my pelvic region already is and how sore the muscles under my belly are. I remember feeling that way with Owen, but much later in the third trimester. My doctor says this is normal and to be expected of subsequent pregnancies. 
        This baby is very active. He is constantly moving, particularly at night. He is also really strong and sometimes his kicks are so powerful that they make me gasp. Like his older brother, he prefers the right side of my uterus more than the left side and is frequently snuggled over onto that side which makes my stomach lopsided. He reacts to voices and will move more when Tim talks to him or when Owen is playing around my stomach (typically driving cars up and down my belly, aka the mountain.)
         My appetite has not been as large as I remember with Owen. I have really been enjoying milk and almond milk, fresh fruit (cherries in particular which are super expensive lately), and smoothies. And ice cream, of course. I haven't gained as much weight as with Owen either. 
         Sleep has been pretty rough lately because I wake up at least every couple hours to use the bathroom. So uninterrupted sleep is pretty impossible now. I sleep on my side with a pillow under my stomach. I've also been having really crazy dreams. 
        I have a doctor's appointment coming up this Friday. It should be pretty uneventful, but soon I will have more frequent appointments. At some point, she mentioned doing another ultrasound to gauge the size of the baby just so this one doesn't get too big for a safe delivery (Owen was born at 37w6d at 8 pounds, 12.8 ounces). I would be overjoyed to have another ultrasound because I've never had one this late and I think it would be so neat to see the baby now that he is bigger. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how little time you may have left! I love that Owen plays cars on your belly too. I'm always up for an extra ultrasound too so hopefully you are able to get one! You are looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete