Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cotton Booty review (May box)





       Since I've been researching cloth diapers for the past couple of weeks, I have found so many awesome online resources to learn more about them. And of course, you know I would find a subscription box specifically for cloth diapering mamas. Cotton Booty is a brand spanking new box subscription that just shipped out its first month's boxes this May. And because I am interested in trying out different types of diapers and related products, I thought this would be a fantastic subscription box for me to order! 
       Cotton Booty costs $24.99 a month (extended subscriptions are discounted) and includes one name brand cloth diaper, a "fun" item, and a cloth diaper related sample. You customize your box by selecting between girl, boy, and gender neutral options. The box ships first class mail and mine took six days to arrive at my house in Kentucky from their store in Pennsylvania. The package arrived in just a plain cardboard box, but that didn't matter because the brown paper and cute sticker concealed some really awesome stuff inside! 
        The theme for May's box was "Easy Does It" and it featured items that make cloth diapering easier: an all-in-one one size diaper, Baby Legs leg warmers, and cloth diaper safe diaper rash cream. I chose the boy box this month so my items were all tailored to a baby boy. 
        Here's what came inside my May box:
  • BumGenius Freetime All-in-One One Size Cloth Diaper ($19.95): This is how the insert describes this diaper: "One of the easiest to use diapers on the market. Using the snaps on the front of the diaper, adjust the size if needed, put the diaper on your baby, wash, dry, and reuse. These one-sized diapers are designed to fit most babies weighing between 8 and 35 pounds." I am really excited about receiving this brand and kind of diaper because they were recommended to me by some cloth diapering friends and I definitely wanted to check them out. I was really impressed that Cotton Booty sent a really good quality, more expensive diaper from such a well-known company. And it is stinkin' adorable!
     The diaper that I received in the boy box came in the Albert print, which is part of BumGenius's special edition Genius Series. I included a picture of the back of the diaper so you can see the print better. It's so cute and looks kind-of like a little diaper tuxedo. Girls received the Lovelace print (pictured below right) and the neutral box came with a diaper in the color Clementine (pictured below left). I believe all diapers came with the snaps and not the aplix (aka Velcro).

  • BabyLegs Leg Warmers ($12): The insert describes them this way: "These leg warmers will not only keep your baby warm, but also protected them from the elements, makes diaper changing and potty training easier, and protect their soft knees while crawling. BabyLegs are a parenting essential around the world because of their utility, practicality, and stylish appeal." We have a pair of these already for Owen and I am super excited to get another pair. I think they are definitely more useful on a smaller baby and I can't wait to put them on our next little boy. The print I received is the Edward. A different design came in the girl and gender neutral boxes (girls were pink with hearts and gender neutral were a black and yellow striped bumblebee design).
  •  CJ's BUTTer ($1.50): This product is described as "a miracle in a tube by some, CJ's BUTTer has been used on adults and children to help relieve: eczema, rashes, dry/chapped skin, rug burns, mechanics hands and cuticles, and hand nails. The only ingredients in original butter are shea butter, olive oil, beeswax, cocoa butter, Vitamin E, and gluten free colloidal oatmeal. CJ's BUTTer is completely cloth diaper safe. It will not cause repelling or staining." I am happy to receive a cloth diaper related product sample so I can test stuff on our little man and pick the ones we like best in the future. I received the Lavender and Tea Tree scent. I can't attest to the smell because it is sealed and I don't want to open it until I'm prepared to start using it. 
  
      I came up with a total retail value of $33.45 for the items in this box, which is $8.46 more than what I paid for it. This is a great value for a box with such a niche market that is just starting out. I am really happy with my first box and look forward to learning more about cloth diapering and testing out more products in the months to come. If you're interested in trying Cotton Booty, check out their Facebook page or sign up on their website. If you use my link, you will receive $5 off your first purchase.  

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome box! I would love to try this, but I can't seem to get my hhubby on board with cloth diapers yet. I will keep trying to convince him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love CJs! And the lavender/tea tree smell is one of our favorites. Besides being a great cloth diaper friendly cream, you can use it for other skin issues. My DS had a poor red nose from a cold and a little dab of CJs before bed would clear it up by morning. And my DH would slather it on his chapped hands this winter and he loved the feeling and how it really helped soften them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those baby legs look so cute!! Thanks for linking up with the Tuesday Baby Link Up!

    ReplyDelete