Thursday, December 1, 2011

Tasty Thursday

      Last week was a home run as far as our dinners were concerned. Every recipe (new and old) was so good and pretty much every meal had enough leftovers for both Tim and I to be set on lunches as well. The chicken pot pie soup was so yummy and warm and comforting. Especially after our busy day of visiting Santa and getting our Christmas tree and poor Tim having to wrangle the tree into the tree stand. I'm very proud of him though because I think the worst curse word he used while doing it was "Fudge muffins." Whatever that means. The biggest dinner shocker was the Autumn penne pasta with sauteed brussels sprouts. I was a little worried about the brussels sprouts, but it turned out really good and Tim even went back for seconds. High praises for something with probably the No. 1 most hated vegetable in the world in it. Also, and as another plug for the Easy Mulligatawny from last night, Tim had to choose between taking taco meatloaf or the soup to work for lunch and he chose the mulligatawny. And that is the highest recommendation I could ever get for it. 


Thursday: Chicken tortilla soup. This is a recipe from Pioneer Woman Cooks that I've had my eye on for a while, but have not made because of the number of ingredients in it. But now  I've started shopping at a cheaper grocery store (Winco), I can get canned goods for much less than I could at Albertson's. Plus, last week I bought more than 13 pounds of chicken breasts for less than $12. That's less than a dollar a pound! I love my new grocery store! Also, they have a super awesome bulk section where you can buy flour, beans, sugar, spices, candy, nuts, and so much more without having to buy an entire box of something. 
Friday: Leftover soup. Tim will be playing in a charity golf tournament this evening so it will be better if he can just eat leftovers before he goes off to play golf in the dark! The golf tournament is part of Movember (Mustache November), which raises awareness for men's cancer research. 
Saturday: Chicken pot pie with cheddar crust. This is a recipe from Food Network that I have made a couple times before. It is hands-down the best recipe for chicken pot pie that I've ever made. Plus, we already have chicken, carrots, celery, and cheddar cheese leftover from meals that I made last week and I don't want them to go to waste. The only problem with this recipe is that it takes a good deal of time to make the crust and chop all the vegetables and my kitchen looks like a hurricane went through it afterwards, but it is so yummy and makes a ton so we'll have plenty of leftovers. 
Sunday: Leftover chicken pot pie. 
Monday: Crock pot Italian turkey meatballs. This is a new recipe from the blog Skinny Taste. I am really looking forward to making it because I've always wanted to make meatballs, but I've always been a little apprehensive about it. We'll eat it with pasta and steamed or roasted broccoli.
Tuesday: Chicken and white bean enchiladas with creamy salsa verde. I made this the other week and I made some changes to it because I thought it was going to be too spicy with two jalapenos in it, but after I baked it the spiciness wasn't as noticeable and I want to make it again to see if I can't get it to the perfect level of heat.  
Wednesday: Slow cooker chicken rice curry. This is a recipe from McCormick's, the company that makes all the spices and stuff. I'm pretty certain that it's not the most authentic recipe or anything, though I think there are probably a bunch of different versions of the dish. All I know is that I love the flavor of curry and I also love using my slow cooker. The recipe uses bone-in chicken breasts so I'm hoping that will help the chicken not dry out as much. I generally have a problem with boneless skinless chicken drying out when I make it in the slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment