Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Julep Maven review (ft. May Modern Beauty box)


      My Julep Maven box came in the mail really quickly this month and I was so excited to receive this particular box. The May nail colors were all pretty, but what really convinced me to get this box this month was the additional products, a new trio of lipsticks and a lip scrub. Plus, I just added on the nail colors that I liked. 
     The theme for this month was "Set the Stage" and featured elegant colors inspired by the music, style, and spirit of the Roaring Twenties. The nail colors for this month were mainly cremes and a couple shimmers, metallics, and a glitter. The theme definitely seemed glamorous and 1920's inspired, especially because of the special product this month: the two Jazz Collection lip trio sets.

     Once again, the packaging was really beautiful with the products all nestled down in gold sparkly tissue paper and burgundy paper crinkles. The products were all packaged great too in shiny black and gold boxes. The containers themselves were shiny gold and really glitzy looking. 
      This month, I chose the Modern Beauty box for the first time. This is actually a newer style profile and the only one that does not include nail polish and instead has several beauty products. Three of the other profiles (Boho Glam, Bombshell, and Classic with a Twist) include different assortments of two polishes and one product. And It Girl still includes just three polishes (I was really tempted by the colors in this box this month, but decided against it because it didn't have the lip colors). But the great thing about Julep is that you don't have to stick with your style profile each month and can change up your mind (and style) anytime you want. 
  The products that came in my box were:
  • American Beauty Volumizing MascaraJet black. This mascara debuted in September last year and contains peptides to stimulate lash growth. I really like this mascara and was happy to receive another one. 
  • New York Jazz Trio lip colors: Satin doll (poppy lip sheer), Tea for Two (nude shimmer lip sheer), and Lady in Red (matte crimson lip color). These lip colors all look really great, but came in a smaller size than I expected. I assumed that they were full sized, but I'm still happy with them. I'm just glad that I got a box that they came in and didn't pay the add-on price of $19.99. 
From left to right, Tea for Two, Lady in Red, and Satin Doll.
  • Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub: Brown sugar and molasses scent. This lip scrub features brown sugar, molasses, conditioning oils, vitamin E, and shea butter. I love the scent of this lip scrub. It smells so delicious. And the container it comes in is really pretty too. I just want to leave it out on my counter so I can see it all the time. The scrub is maybe a little rougher than I expected, but it also had moisturizers that felt really good on my lips after I rinsed off the scrub.   
  • Bonus product: Four floral hairpins. This was a bonus item added to the boxes this month. They aren't really my style, but they are pretty cute. I was really hoping for tickets to go see The Great Gatsby in theaters. Oh well! 


      Because I liked so many of the nail polishes, but not really any that came in the same box together, I added on two nail colors: Myrtle (flapper red creme) and Zelda (pink champagne metallic). They haven't come in the mail yet. 
     Want to join in on the fun of receiving nail polishes and products in the mail each month? Joining the Julep Maven program is the best way to get Julep products at a discount on everything and access to new colors before everyone else! You just take a style quiz and they will send you products that match your style (don't worry though because you won't be stuck with that style forever). Plus you can join now for a free box and just pay shipping. Here are some other benefits of the Julep Maven program:
  • $40-$60 worth of nail and beauty products delivered to your door each month for $19.99.
  • You get to preview the nail colors you will receive each month.
  • You can add on up to three additional nail colors or products at a discounted price.
  • You can pay an additional $30-$35 and receive the entire collection for that month, which is often a really great deal worth more than $200. 
  • You can skip receiving a box (and the bill) if you're not interested in that month's products and colors. I have done this the past two months. 
  • You can switch to one of four other style profiles if you don't like the colors in your style profile.
  • You can chose to send your box to a friend. 
  • One Maven will win a super special box that includes all sorts of things depending on the month's theme. There are also typically bonus items in all the boxes too. 
  • Twenty percent off purchases at julep.com and free shipping for Mavens. 
  • You can earn a free month by referring two friends to the program using your referral link. (Mine is below and I'd be so happy if you used it)
  • You can earn jules (rewards points) to be used toward monthly boxes when you purchase a box or add-ons. You also get reward points on your anniversary as a Maven and on your birthday. 
  • You can cancel anytime by giving Julep a call.
Sound good? Then fill out a style quiz HERE and use the code FREEBOX to receive your first box for free (just pay shipping!)

1 comment:

  1. How tiny are the lip sticks? Im still waiting mine to even be processed :O(
    I purchased just the lip stick and scrub set.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete